Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Laundry-large cupboard or small room?

The Number 10 laundry is small. No, make that tiny. In fact, it's a cupboard.

It's about the size of a smallish walk-in pantry. Just enough to house the washing machine, dryer, a cupboard and a few shelves to hold things...but that's about it.




I use this little room for storage as well as a laundry. MONT put shelves right around the walls so I can store all the spare glasses, still in their boxes and any saucepans or large pans, that only get used when we have a crowd to cater for...and sometimes I even put them in their correct spot on the shelf, not just leave them on the bench


So, like I said it's small and a bit crowded....no place to set up the ironing board, (not that I iron much), and no place for things to hang to dry...in fact there's no room to even store the clothes airers.

Usually, when I wash MONT's shirts, I put them on hangers (to help avoid more ironing), then place them on door knobs around the place...but instead of them being out on show, I really wanted a little rail for them in here...But what would I use for the rail?

Well, when we changed all the brass light fittings over to chrome, the rods came with extension pieces and I have a few of them left over...

Voila...


May I present my new drying rail


It's only large enough to hold a few shirts...but that's all I needed....and it's much better than going out and buying something that would've set me back a lot more than the $6 for the brackets.

If I was just starting out on the Number 10 renovation (and knew then what I know now) I'd have a much larger laundry that could store EVERYTHING! But this is what I have and this is what I have to work with...I think it's OK

Oh and yes...those baskets on the shelves are new too. A quick trip to KMart and they were in the car in 10 minutes flat.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea, I'll have to remember this when it comes time to overhaul our laundry. Our laundry is also small and a compelte pain in the butt to move around in and store things in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie...and if you do need a little extension rod like mine, let me know, because I have quite a few left over...all you'll have to do is get a couple of brackets...

      Delete
  2. I love that you were able to use the rods from the light fittings, they look great and perfect for what you needed. Sometimes a small space is better than having a bigger space, I find my bigger laundry (not much bigger) just gets filled up with more junk! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Nellie...bigger isn't always necessarily better...just messier! lol

      Delete
  3. Oh I hear you I'm in the middle of re doing our bathroom and still painting the outside of the house (started 6 months ago) but love this idea of the hanging rail, I have a small laundry too though I like not having to clean another room LOL. Just found your lovely blog and now following you so we can keep in touch, hope you have a great week my new friend.

    Always Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to meet you Wendy...and thanks so much for dropping by.
      Hope to see you again soon

      Delete
  4. I barely if ever need to iron my shirts. I guess I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts.